Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Look, I even colored eggs for you!"

You may be wondering how I got to be so quirky. You may not care at all, which is cool too.

You should know, my grandmother, who wanted you to know that I'm a loving individual and NOT a cynic (as mentioned on the right side of the blog), made me this way.

The day before Easter, she calls me to tell me that she's on her way to my house. "I have some Easter things to give you, and I even colored eggs for you!" In my head, I laughed a little at the idea of my grandma at home in her kitchen playing with egg dye. When she showed up with my Easter basket, it was full of TREASURES.

Behold:
Best Easter basket, ever.

Let's take a moment to break this bad boy down.
The items in the basket include:

1. A can of Green Chili (a staple in New Mexico. We kick you out of the state if you don't like it.)
2. Easter-y socks. I should mention that they were child-size socks. Thankfully, I have child-sized feet.
3. Lifesaver Jelly Beans, DE-LICIOUS. Later in the day, my mom literally tackled me to get me to stop eating them. She's like the fat/sugar police. I did not relinquish said jellybeans.
4. Four bunny Peeps, in a sandwich bag. My grandmother loves her sandwich bags.
5. Behind the Peeps, unable to be seen, is one of those AM/FM mini-radios you receive from participating in things like..... Publisher's Clearing House. I'm almost certain that's where she got it.........in 1985.
6. Next up, a Triple A card..... with her name on it.
7. A sleep mask. The sleep mask I gave her two weeks ago when she was incredibly sick. I asked her if she washed it since she had been sick. She did not.
8. A garlic jar full of Sour Patch Kids. The jar stills smells strongly of garlic. The Sour Patch kids taste as if they've been garlic-infused. Not delicious.
9. The red box contains some gorgeous silver necklaces of hers, that she's giving me. Love. Love. Love. This is the part of the basket that screams, "I am not a cynic, I'm a loving individual who cares about people."
10. Last, but absolutely not least..... the "colored" eggs. Let's take a closer look, shall we?


That's right. She "colored" them with Post It Tabs. If I hadn't understood that, she wrote the color as well. It probably took her a good 30 minutes to do this, as its become difficult for her to write (usually once her hand starts moving, it doesn't stop and she twirls off of the page).



This, amongst many reasons, is why I love my grandmother. No one else on Earth got an Easter basket like this one.

Now I'm off to enjoy some Sour Patch Kids. First, they're sour. Then, they're sweet. Then, they're garlic-y?


     

13 comments:

Christy said...

Oh my gosh, I love this post so much. Your Grandma sounds awesome :)

Joy Page Manuel said...

What a cool grandma you've got there! Happy Easter! I'm SURE you had a blast!

Unknown said...

Oh that's great. My grandma sent me stale homemade cookies that I wouldn't even feed my dog!
(Of course her intentions were good)

Shebecomes said...

That's great! That basket if full of love :)

NANCY said...

Hello!!! I'm your newest follower from the Wired Wednesday bloghop! Hope you're having a fantastic day!

Nancy

Hope you'll follow back at http://thatsoundslikecrazy.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Oh my! haha. I love your grand-mother. Her antics remind me of things my mom would do. This the lady who has "drawn" (in quotes because she can hardly even write) a dog on a card because it was for him and she wanted to make sure we knew. Oh and the Happy Birthday was crossed out and replaced by "congratulations" for whatever it was.

Quirky, Goofy and just plain odd is entertaining & fun. (I do mean this in the best way possible).

So, I'm going to 'follow' you now merely on the basis to see what your grandma is going to give you next.

Okay, and because you made me laugh. :) Thanks!

Crunchy Frugalista said...

That is too adorable! I am your newest follower from the S Cal blog hop! Hope to see you soon at crunchyfrugalista.com

Ann Jones said...

Your grandma sounds funny. Im following you as part of the blog hop. You can follow me back at

http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

webly said...

Your grandmother sounds really amazing. That must have been a very cool Easter for you.
Nice blog

Nataly said...

Thank you and for joining todays hop :) http://sweetcalifornialiving.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

The "colored eggs' are just too much, I actually spit my coffe out!! Great bakset, great grandma! I found you on SITS on blog frog and am so glad I did! I am now a happy new follower! Thanks for a great laugh!

Shifan said...

That's great! That basket if full of love.

Gena @ Life With Captain Fussybuckets said...

wow. That is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time! your grandma sounds a lot like mine! Except my grandma would've included penicillin from 1936 in it. haha! LOVE!